A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

1997 Mercury Tracer 2.0 SPI Timing Belt alignment. I have

Customer Question

1997 Mercury Tracer 2.0 SPI Timing Belt alignment. I have the Haynes service manual and I am replacing the timing belt (I have also watched you tube videos) The original timing belt was completely broken. I wanted to clarify exactly how I line up the camshaft pulley with the crankshaft pulley. If I align the crankshaft pulley mark with the TDC mark on the oil pump housing, since the belt is broken can I just rotate the camshaft pulley by the pulley bolt till it is aligned with the mark on the cylinder head? Also do I have to make sure the #1 cylinder is on top dead center of the compression stroke or is everything okay as long as the crankshaft and camshaft pulley marks are lined up? If I do, how do you know its is on the compression stroke if the valves are not moving since the belt is broken?
Does the water pump have to be replaced with the timing belt? I am doing this work for my wife's grandparents and they only need to get by with this car for another year before he quits driving (He is 83 and needs to quit do to health issues.) money is also really tight for them. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  A. Penland replied 9 months ago.

Below are the directions from the factory Ford shop manual.

As long as the timing marks are lined up properly, you do not need to have #1 on compression stroke. Make sure the water pump is not leaking, but it would not hurt to replace it now while you have great access to it. Also, replace the timing belt tensioner along with the timing belt.