Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

I have a Mercury 2002 cougar that has a stuck moon roof that

Customer Question

I have a Mercury 2002 cougar that has a stuck moon roof that won't shut. Fuse is good. Working on it a little the switch did activate it once but only for a half a second. Stopped and hasn't done anything else. Just want to get it closed.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, you have to remove the overhead console to access the motor. Once you do, you will see where an allen wrench can be inserted(believe a 7 or 8mm) into the cover for the gear. Insert allen wrench and turn the gear to close the sunroof. It is slow going but will close

Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had already tried to turn the Allen wrench in the gear but it has froze up. Your attachment shows arrows to other bolts do they need to be loosened or something .
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

No, the only diagram I have showing the location for the allen bolt is one for replacing the motor and those arrows are pointing to the motor to replace it.

Ok, you can try spraying it with some PB Blast and letting soak for a bit and then try turning it. If it doesnt turn, then either replace the motor, or if you have no plan to use it again, you can remove the motor and cut the cables going to it and manually slide the glass in place

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will have to try it tomorrow cause I am not at home now.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

Ok, sounds good

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Eric. My son has the car he is at college now. I did take the motor down and pushed the roof forward and shut the roof. I reinstalled the motor so the roof can't be pushed back to be open. The only thing now is the back end is up in the air and can't get it to fall down in to place so it is flush with roof and water tight.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

How far is the rear of it sticking up

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1 to 2 inches.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

With the motor out, it should have been able to slide into place and seat. I am not sure what is keeping the rear of it that high up. I will opt out and see if another expert may know how to get it to seat at this point

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. Different tech here, would you like my help?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My son has a 2002 Mercury cougar. The sun roof was stuck open. I tried to close it with a Allen wrench, but the motor has froze up and wouldn't turn. Tried to lubricate it but didn't help. Eric from just answers told me to drop motor and it should close up. I did get it pushed forward but the back end of roof is up about inch or 2. The problem I couldn't get the back lowered to be completely shut and water tight. How do I get it totally closed?

With the motor off are you able to turn the linkage like the motor would do so to finish the movement of the glass to the fully closed position. If not then there is a linkage issue or glass frame failure causing it to bind. If that is the case then we need to remove it from the roof whih I have the directions to do so if needed.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The gear mechanism is connected with the motor if I could separate the gear from the motor I think I could reatach it to the worm gear in linkage and shut roof with Allen wrench. Motor is keeping the roof to close. can the motor be detached without it breaking gear. If it can't I will take directions to close roof if the linkage is messed up.

There are only directions to manually close it like you have tried already. You should be able to separate the electrical motor from the drive gear though. Have you tried that?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I haven't. I will try to seperate it then. thanks

Keep in touch on the results.