Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

Why rear spark plug when changing is covered in oil and car

Customer Question

Why rear spark plug when changing is covered in oil and car has a misfire to it maybe do to the spark plug
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, so when you changed the spark plug you found one covered in oil, and you are having trouble with a misfire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's correct the passenger one in the rear

Ok well the short answer is yes that could cause a misfire. But the real issue is why is there oil on the spark plug. Have you replaced anything else to try to fix the misfire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't that's basically The question I wanna know is why is the oil on there what's the cause of it

Oh ok, its either the oil rings on the pistons are going bad and not holding oil below the compression chamber, or there is an oil leak from the head gasket into the cylinder. To find out which you'll need to perform a leak down test with a leak down tester.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe its something dealing with the o rings or valve cover gaskets but do the motor have to be removed to fix

Well the spark plugs go directly into the cylinder head, and they do not go through the valve cover. Was the oil on the top of them or on the threaded end?

If it is just a valve cover leaking into the spark plug hole then no the engine will not have to be removed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was on top and I smelled a burnt smell

Oh ok, well yes then it is probably the valve covers leaking.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.