Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs
7276279

It says emissions sensory service and the check engine light

Customer Question

hello. It says emissions sensory service and the check engine light comes on. I had it scanned but they said no codes came up
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mercury. The Mercury Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the car started making loud noise, not sure why or from where, it just sounds like it is louder and sounds like the belt and pulleys are making more noise, but not sure if related to the sensor issue
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet, as I don't know what is wrong.
JA: Is there anything else the Mercury Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercury?
Customer: that is it. oil changed regularly and no leaks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercury Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

When the check engine light comes on the computer should always set a fault code and or codes. Who ever you had scan it may not have done it properly. If the light is on, can you stop by your local parts store such as Auto Zone and have it scanned again and see what the fault code and codes are. They will do this for you at no charge as well. Post back with the results and I will advise you from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Auto Zone is the one that scanned it on three different occassions. The light comes on and goes off sometimes. I always take it when it comes on.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the light is coming on there really should be a fault code setting. The light coming on indicates there is a fault code and or codes. Can they scan it while the light is on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took it yesterday and the light was on and they say no code. Since it is not on all the time they said it must not be an issue. But today I have a noise that sounds like the belt and pulley are about to fall off
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

What year is your Mercury and which engine do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2006 V6-181 3.0L
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Is this noise your hearing a squealing type noise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. just louder than normal and as if the pulley is not spining straight. it is tight in there and hard to see
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sounds sometimes like it does when you put a card in the spokes of a bicycle. Not always.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

One very common cause for this type of noise can be caused by a failing Camshaft Synchronize located on the front of the engine and if its failing it can cause the service engine light to come on and off. You can check this with a stethoscope placed on the Camshaft Synchronizer while the noise is occurring. If it turns out to be the source of the noise then it will need to be replaced. Its very common for them to fail as well. I have enclosed the location as well as replacement steps in the link below. Copy and paste the link toy our browser to open and view the file. Check this and post back if you need more help and or have more questions and we can work from there.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Camshaft%20Synchronizer%20Feb%2015.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will take a look and report back.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.