Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

My car is fishtailing on dry roads, I had an oil leak and

Customer Question

my car is fishtailing on dry roads, I had an oil leak and was told there's probably oil on the tires. they used a degreaser but its still fistailing, what else can be done?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: like what? it does it at any speed slow fast and in between. it feels like the car is driving crooked the front end is to one side and the rear to the opposite side.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercury Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

It sounds to me as though something on the rear end broke or came off/loose.

That can happen with rear leaf springs in the bolt/stud that holds the rear axle to the center of the leaf springs snaps. Does this have rear leaf springs/

What year, make, model is this?

Tape a tape measure and measure from the center of the right front wheel to the center of the right rear wheel, then compare that distance with the reading from the center of the left front wheel to the left rear wheel. It should be no more than 1/4". It it's over that the tracking is off and most of the times it's because the rear axle has shifted or rwd drive vehicles.

Let me know the readings.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

what were the readings?