Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Just bought a used mecury sable 2005..only 60,000 miles

Customer Question

just bought a used mecury sable 2005..only 60,000 miles heater fine yesterday...today only blows cold air
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mercury. The Mercury Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: only blows cold air
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked fluid level its good...color is good
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercury Mechanic should know about your Mercury?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercury Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

First thing I need you to do is get the engine to operating temp with the blower on high and the heat on full. While running carefully grab the upper radiator hose, it should be about 180 F now grab both heater core hoses on the firewall passenger side. Both should be about 160 F. If they are much colder then you have a restricted core or a stuck open thermostat or the water pump impeller fins are corroded and its not moving enough coolant. Let me know this test result.

If the hoses are hot then its likely the blend door actuator in the dash. To diagnose that after the coolant hose test result, I need to know if you have auto or manual climate control.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.