HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years experience Ford Senior Master Technician/Diesel certified ASE Master Technician
285738

I have a 97Sable Special edition. It has a new battery,

Customer Question

I have a 97Sable Special edition. It has a new battery , Crankshaftsencer, Fuel pump,
Fuel filter, new spark plugs and wires, new
alternator ......It is strong trying to start but won't ..Once in a while it will and then you never know when it happens again..right now it won't ....
Category: Mercury
Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Hello, ok have a few questions, since these parts are new do you have 30 psi of pressure at the fuel rail? Do you have spark and injector pulse? Does the check engine light come one when the key is turned on and turn off when cranking? ANy trouble codes stored if checked with a scan tool? When it does start does it stay running?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I believe it was lower, that's why the new fuel pump assembly and filter was put in ! Check engine Does Not come on....
When it does start up, It's quick , runs beautiful, never stalls, I drive it no problems and turns off and on great and never know when I won't be able to start it again !!!
Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Ok need to verify the check engine light operation. It should come on when the key is turned on indicating the eec power relay is sending power to the powertrain control module, when it crank and gets an rpm signal from the crank sensor, the light will turn off. If its not working at all it could be a blown bulb since the vehicle runs. Need to run a check for codes to see if there are any codes for the eec power or fuel pump circuit or anything else which can cause a no start issue. WHen it doesnt start, need to verify fuel pressure, injector pulse & spark/rpm signal to know what is missing and what area to scope

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I Turn the Key on THE ENGINE SERVICE LIGHT DOES COME ON !!! Car won't start ! Are you going to be able to stay in contact with me for how long , with the 36 .00 I paid ???
Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Yes, until we find the cause. Ok so the pcm should be getting power and communicate with a scan tool to pull codes. Need to verify when it wont start the light turns off when cranking, indicating its getting an rpm signal, have fuel pressure at the rail, ignition spark and injector pulse. see if it will run when it wont start by spraying carb cleaner into the intake and run a bit,verify fuel pressure is good.