Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

93 Mercury Grand Marquis Replaced EGR valve Replaced PDFE

Customer Question

93 Mercury Grand Marquis
Replaced EGR valve
Replaced PDFE sensor
Cleaned passages as I was told by my mechanic
Engine light still comes on after 15 min highway driving
Car runs great and smooth idle
Code 332 insufficient EGR flow
Category: Mercury
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Seems like this car's EGR passage needs to get cleaned every 5 years or so. Last time my mechanic had to redo another mechanic's work saying that he did not go far enough in cleaning the passage. He is retired now so I can not go back to him. But, the problem is identical to 5 yrs ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have always passed smog and my previous mechanic ( the one that fixed the problem 5 yrs ago) said don't worry about it . It won't hurt anything.
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 10 months ago.

I disagree with him, the egr plays a vital role in controlling ore detonation, and nobody wants a check engine light on

With today's gas it's not uncommon to have carbon buildup, or you doing any kind of induction service regularly? And besides the parts you named you have an egr solenoid that could be at fault. This system is easy to check, since you suspect clogged passage get a vacuum pump and apply vacuum to egr the engine should die or stumble really bad. If it doesn't need to clean passages, removing throttle body will be necessary