Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

I'm having a problem with my 2003 dohc mercury sable Ls

Customer Question

Hello I'm having a problem with my 2003 dohc mercury sable Ls premium I just brought the car 2 weeks ago wen I pulled yesterday into a store and came out my car would not go into gear the shifter moves does not feel broken or like it has extra play in it but the gear does not engage in any gear I can roll the car in every gear though since I've had the car I've had a diagnostic ran on it a few times and one problem came up that was a pcv valve for a idle issue now I don't know what this could be but I doubt it's the tyranny because I've had a diagnostic ran and car shift and runs smoothly except at dead stop which refers back to the pcv valve idle issue im just lookin for the cause of issue what does it sound like to you?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, sounds to me like the shift linkage has come off. It is not allowing you to get into gear.

Even know the shifter is moving like it should I would look at the linkage under the car yourself. It could still be attached just not enough to turn the linkage.

I need to know if this is floor or column shift. I have a document to show you so we can try doing a cable adjustment. Many times a broken cable or streched out cabled will cause the issue.