Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

I have a 1997 Mercury Cougar which will turn off at any

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Mercury Cougar which will turn off at any given time while it is being driven it shakes, all the light on dash board flicker then it turns off. I have not driven the vehicle for this reason, but now it sometimes does not even start at all or it will just crank at times. It also heats up really quickly when this happens I won't even drive it for more then 10 minutes when the temperature gauge starts going up drastically. Can you help me figure out what is going on with my car?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

My name is Vlad.

I need some more information please.

1) is it 3.8L engine?

2) When it stalls, can you restart after that? Does starter turn the engine over at least?

Please reply back

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a v8. I can it just takes plenty of time before it restarts. Usually it does not there are some times when it does turn over.
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

1) You mention that it "shakes" when being driven so I would inspect spark plugs and ignition wires or just replace both if it has not been done recently. Those 4.6L engines are known for ignition wires issues causing misfire.

2) For engine stalling issue, I would start from fuel system . It is quite possible your fuel pump is about to fail and does not supply enough fuel at times. Would be a good idea to have it checked for trouble codes as there are too many reasons that cause engine stalling so any stored trouble codes could help to nail it down.

3) Overheating- make sure the cooling system has been bled properly and there is no air pockets in the system. if not, it will prevent coolant from circulation resulting in overheating.

The thermostat could be another reason for that.

A faulty water pump ( corroded impeller) would also cause the situation you described.

Thanks

Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.

I am just checking if my answer has helped or you need more assistance?

Thanks