Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs
7276279

I have 302 ford c-4 trans out of the blue starter stayed

Customer Question

I have 302 ford c-4 trans out of the blue starter stayed engaged when trying to start. Begin with a new starter then solenoid, ignition switch, bellhousing, flexplate .Continues to do the same thing ,I would have to jump out and disconnect the battery. the last time I tried it something else happened and now nothing happens when you try starting it but all the lights work . (it would continue turning over with ignition switch off.)
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order to be able to help you we need to know what year your Comet it. One other thing you need to check is to see if you are getting key on cranking power to the small start wire at the starter solenoid while the starter is stuck on. Check this for me and post back with the year and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1964 comet but I don't know what year engine is for sure I think 70 - 79 and both small wires have power with key off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With both small wires unhooked from selinoid ignition and starter wire starter stills turns over with ignition. Switch on off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1964 comet, but I don't know what year engine is for sure. I think 70-79 and both small wire have power with key off.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If its still cranking with both small wire removed from the solenoid then that would indicate the solenoid is stuck. Are both cables on each side of it reading battery voltage, the one going to the starter should have no power unless the solenoid is engaged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is power to both small wires when they are not hooked up to the solenoid and is a new solenoid so has to be something else
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

There should only be power on the red/blue small wire and only in the crank postion.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that's what's strange
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If your sure its not coming from the ignition switch then you have to have a short to power in the circuit someplace from the ignition switch to the solenoid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I'll check next but I won't be able to work on it again until next weekend
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

No problem, Im here if you need me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Ron might work on it this weekend will get back with you if I need help
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay, Im here everyday except Sundays.