Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Went thru 1/2 tank of gas in about 5 minutes-running rough

Customer Question

went thru 1/2 tank of gas in about 5 minutes-running rough
Category: Mercury
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Superbob replied 11 months ago.

Hello Andy, my name is Bob. That is a lot of fuel in a short amount of time! it sounds as though you have a fuel injector that is stuck open and dumping fuel into one cylinder and pumping it straight down the tail pipe. Do you smell a strong fuel odor at the exhaust outlet at the rear of the car?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
a puddle of black [running rich] & water coming out of tailpipe

Yes, it definitely sounds like you have a stuck open injector! If you have a long screwdriver you can place the tip on the body of each injector and your ear placed firmly on the end of the handle with the engine running to use a makeshift stethoscope, You should hear a distinct tick tick tick noise from each injector as the engine is running. A stuck injector will make little or no noise, this can help pinpoint which one of the Eight may be stuck open! Will this be something that you will be repairing yourself?