EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master
Experience:  ASE, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel, Kia Professional Elite
34559540

2002 all wheel drive mountaineer
,, I bought a 2002 all

Customer Question

Customer: 2002 all wheel drive mountaineer
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Chris Douglas , I bought a 2002 all wheel drive mountaineer. It would not go in reverse a couple of times, now sometimes it will not roll backwards in neutral, and makes a clunking noise in reverse. Other times it works fine
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercury Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Unfortunately that year Mountaineer had terrible problems with the transmission. There is a solenoid pack in the transmission that would commonly cause delayed or harsh shifts into drive or reverse.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Another issue was that there would be wear on the internals of the transmission requiring an overhaul.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

But first thing, would be to at least check the transmission fluid level. There is a special procedure to fill and check on the oil pan of the transmission. Please respond with your thoughts. Thanks.