Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  35 years experience in the automotive and Lt truck repair business, owner Cardoctor LLC Guthrie, OK
36867192

When driving the car at 20 to 25 mph and apply the brakes

Customer Question

When driving the car at 20 to 25 mph and apply the brakes the door lock actuators engage and then they continue to try and lock several more times. This only happens when you apply the brakes while driving.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Eric replied 11 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

So it only happens while braking between 20-25mph, no other speed while braking, correct?

I need the vin number and need to know whether this has factory remote, aftermarket remote, or no remote for the locks at all

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
2MEFM75W9WX608001 - HAS A WORKING FACTORY KEY FAB & KEY BUTTONS ON DOOR HANDLE TO OPEN DOOR.Yes - happens at 25 mph and below when you hit the brakes or feather the brakes which driving.dan
Expert:  Eric replied 11 months ago.

HI,

I have gone thru all the schematics and wiring diagrams and am just not seeing the relation between the door locks actuating on their own under these specific circumstances. I am going to open this back up to other experts

Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 11 months ago.

Most likely the wiring harness for the door locks that runs under the carpet is shorting out against the body of the vehicle, when you apply the brake ,you also apply pressure with your heel of your foot to the carpet. Please RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, please ASK another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given,until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That didn't work the wires look fine as they run down the side of the body. The car does it in drive but not reverse - even at 1 mph it happens - every time you tap the brake its trying to lock the doors. .... click - click - click.

This is a main body wiring harness short circuit because the two circuits are separate, a wiggle test is in order along the length of the wiring harness inch or 2 at a time until you here the click.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did the wiggle test but didn't notice a short. I will be trying the brake switch later tonight. Any other idea's?

I'm relatively certain there is a short circuit in the wiring harness somewhere.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think it might be the door control module. The door ajar warning light and chime go off randomly after about 8 minutes of driving. It happens now when you hit the gas pedal but not all the time.