Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Mecury Mechanic
Experience:  Ford Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

My 2002 Mercury Mountaineer won't start due to the P.A.T.S

Customer Question

When I try to start the vehicle, it won't even try to turn over or anything and the THEFT light flashes at roughly twice the rate as normal.
So far I have tried.
1.) Using the second key
2.) Locking and Unlocking the doors with the keys multiple times
3.) Locking and Unlocking with the remote multiple times
4.) Disconnected the battery for 48 hours
5.) I've tried starting in every gear
6.) I've disconnected the negative terminal from the battery and ran a jumper from the positive to the negative feed in an attempt to drain the capacitors and reset the computer. I did this for ten minutes.
I really don't want to tow this thing to the Ford dealership as it has many miles on it. Can't I just bypass this stupid P.A.T.S system and never worry about it again?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 11 months ago.

sorry.......NO, you cannot ByPass the PATS, as it is part of the Computer.
Since you have tried all the above, which is the only other ways, a trip to the Dealer or a Shop with Ford Scan Tool is the only way, as the System needs to be accessed & Programmed for Communication of the Transponder & the Computer.
apprx 1 hour labor
Be sure to have ALL Keys Programmed to "Master Keys" when you have this done

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

This hardly seems worth $20

Nothing against you as I have researched the hell out of this online. Justanswer has charged my card 4 times now to receive "take it to the shop" answer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Justanswer makes it seem like you don't have to pay unless you are satisfied and they won't just take money from your account. I will never use this site again as it is very misleading

Nothing against you as I have researched the hell out of this online. Justanswer has charged my card 4 times now to receive "take it to the shop" answer
??

very sorry with the site issues..........
We do NOT work for JustAnswer, as all we do is answer questions as best we can
Ford has issues with the PATS & "some" can be removed, by finding a Supplier to "rebuild" the ECM & take the PATS System Out, but your 2002 does not fall into that group.
.

IF you need help with Payments to JustAnswer, you need to contact "Customer Service" at the bottom of your page..........

If you need further, let me know

thanks.........