Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Car starts but when I drive down the road and try to

Customer Question

Car starts but when I drive down the road and try to accelerate it studier I have changed the spark plugs fuel filter had the injectors cleaned and my fuel pump reads 30 psi what could it be
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

WHAT ENGINE DO YOU HAVE?

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the trouble codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4.6 l v8 , yes check engine light stays on for misfire

is the miss-fire code the only code you get?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That and bad egr valve but egr valve has been bad for past two years was told could be fuel pump

have you removed the egr valve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not yet hard to get too but had no problem for over a year just started

i understand,,but,the egr can cause this problem,if it is dirty and not closing all the way,you will get a major vacuum leak from the exhaust..

tell me,have you replaced the plug wires?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked wires

checked the wires??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry just checked the wires did not replace

ok,

here is my thoughts,,

1-you need to remove and clean the egr valve to make sure it is cloasing al the way,sense you get an egr code,you need to start here..

next,plug the vacuum to the egr valve,if it runs better then,,you will need to replace the egr solenoid[this is what the vacuum line from the egr connects to].

2-replace those pug wires,these wires are likely your problem,there is no good way to test these plug wires sense you can not duplicate the high voltage,,so replace them.

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4euqud1gogxd7fj/1210-cougar-EGR%20Component%20Location.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/4euqud1gogxd7fj/1210-cougar-EGR%20Component%20Location.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As for the egr solenoid I replaced it a year back that's when the egr valve started coming up on the code

ok,it may have been a bad new one..

it is common for the egr valve to get dirty with carbon and not let it close all the way,when they do this,the engine will run awful...sense you do get a code,start with the egr valve

thanks