Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Car is 2001 Mercury Sable with 3.0 Duratec 24V engine at

Customer Question

Car is 2001 Mercury Sable with 3.0 Duratec 24V engine at approx. 93,500 miles.
I started out very confident that I could repair my car, now, not so much. Original problem: Misfire 0303 and it was diagnosed as bad coil. I had it diagnosed by a parts store/shop even though I have my own OBDII with online connection. I haven't been my own mechanic for a very long time, but I do know that problems showing up after working on a vehicle probably have something to do with what you just did.
However, the labor estimate was to rich for my blood, so bought coil, ignition wires, plugs and new intake and egr gaskets. Air intake boot was dried out and tore so it and air filter were also replaced. I bought a PCV valve, but even with intake assy off, looked too troublesome, so I didn't replace; PCV hose appeared to be ok. So, I thought I certainly had it licked.
I then got 0303, 0305 and 0306. Reattached ignition wires, inspected all hoses I could, found one loose and reattached it. I did a visual on the intake seal area (new gaskets), and it appeared to be seated evenly. Checked for leaks. Finally checked for leaks by spraying carb cleaner on all hose connections I could reach and the intake sealing area.
I then got 0305 and 0306. Got ignition tool, checked wires and coil, even pulled the plugs and tested them while plugging the holes with old plugs. Ignition is OK.
I then got 0305. More of the same as above.
My last reading (after clearing any old) is 0306 and many of the other tests wouldn't complete.
I have the OBDII readout from the last reading and don't understand everything I'm looking at. I can send it to you? Right now it is an email that I can forward.
Thanks
--
xxxxxx xxxxxxxxx
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Would you be willing to speak on the phone? IT would go much smoother and you can relay more details to me that way. Please let me know so we can continue..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Amedee,Did you receive the OBD report I sent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not willing to talk on the phone for another 18.00. Seems this site is a money-grubber first and help after, they've already charged the remainder of my 'complete satisfaction' fee...before we even begin!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! I just got home from work. Would you be willing to speak on the phone for an additional $5? That is the lowest amount I can send over for an additional offer.