HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years experience Ford Senior Master Technician/Diesel certified ASE Master Technician
285738

I have 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis. Would love Mercury or

Customer Question

I have 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis. Would love for a Mercury or Ford expert to help with this question.
At the same time about 3 weeks ago, the turn signals stopped working and the AC/heat instrument panel went out (the radio instrument panel above it works fine). I took the car to the shop and they said the AC compressor needs to be replaced. I'm wondering if something is also wrong with the electrical system, and what's going on with the turn signals. (The hazards work, and the lamps aren't broken, they just don't blink.)
I have a mechanic who can install parts for me if i order them online. Do you know what the recommended diagnostic procedure might be, and what parts I need to buy? Do I maybe need to buy a new electrical component in addition to a new AC compressor?
Some other details: the battery went dead in the 3 weeks my car was sitting after this problem happened. The shop replaced the battery because it was under warranty. There is also a loud rattle/grinding noise on startup -- startup is much louder than normal. They said this is the AC compressor. Does that make sense or not? The noise also seems to happen on accelerating or decelerating.
The shop replaced the battery and I was able to drive the car away. I'm not sure why the battery went dead at the same time as this other problem. The shop said because it's getting to be winter but I wonder if the problems could all be related.
Essentially, I'm looking for what parts to order and what steps to use to fix this set of problems.
Thanks.
Category: Mercury
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To clarify: when I said the turn signals don't blink, I mean that when I move the turn signal lever left or right, nothing happens in the back of the car, and in the front of the car, the normal turn signal headlamps shine with continuous light instead of blinking.)
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Would you be willing to speak over the phone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am willing to speak on the phone.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok please accept my offer and call me. I am at work now but will be available to talk over the phone tonight. If you call during the day, please leave a message and I will call you after work. Thank you very much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I saw your email, and I'm not looking to pay more than I already have. If there is an extra charge, let's just answer the question here. Thanks.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, no problem. I will leave this open for other experts.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, yes if the compressor is making noise it can make noise while driving if the pulley is falling apart or the compressor is failing. As for the tail lamps not blinking and front lamps staying on steady and not blinking it is most likely not related to the same concern. Either it is an issue with the Lighting Control Module which is common to fail and cause different headlamp and parking/turn signal issues, or an issue with a rear bulb blown or possible add on trailer harness wiring kit shorting out the system if someone in the past installed a trailer hitch on, which is odd but I do see on these vehicles.Te battery goin dead could be due to time depending on the age of the last battery

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! Looking back at my initial question, a couple of follow ups if you have a moment:1. If the AC compressor broke, would it cause the heat/AC instrument panel to shut off, or is that a separate electrical issue? Currently the temperature and heat/AC panel is dark, but the radio panel works fine. I can start by replacing the AC compressor, but I don't know if that would get the instrument panel back on.2. To try to fix the turn signals, what would you recommend replacing in order? E.g., a certain number fuse, relay, Lighting Control Module, anything else? I have a mechanic who can replace parts, but I need to know what to buy and what to ask ask him to replace, in what order.Much appreciated!
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

The eact contorl panel being dim would be a seperate issue and most likely bad control head, they can be rebult if you have someone in your area that does that much cheaper than a new one, they run around 600.00. A diagnostic check for codes of both the eatc climate control system and the lighting control module should be done, the lcm is a common fault.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. So, it sounds like the AC compressor, LCM, perhaps the EATC climate control system all went out at exactly the same time. Everything stopped working suddenly on the same drive. It sounds like the problems must be related -- it would be too much of a coincidence otherwise for all three failures to happen together. Any ideas of why they all went out at once? My first guess is that the broken AC compressor blew a fuse, and maybe if the same fuse connected to the panel and the turn signals, that would explain everything. However I think they're on different fuses. My concern is that I'd replace the AC compressor, LCM, and EATC, and there is an underlying electrical problem that would make everything fail again.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

It may have a blown fuse, for the illumination,, the lcm can be related to the eatc module not lighting up.Check all fuses under hood and in the interior fuse panel. See if the lcm has codes stored for lighting issues and replace if needed. the compressor is a mechanical fault.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?