EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master
Experience:  ASE, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel, Kia Professional Elite
34559540

My 2008 mercury mariner hybrid won't start. Turn the key,

Customer Question

My 2008 mercury mariner hybrid won't start. Turn the key, dash lights come on, but no ignition catch, just a low hum. Try again, no dash lights, complete silence. Keep trying (stays silent with no lights on dash), usually takes 2-3 minutes to finally catch and start. What gives? The battery and filters have been replaced.....
Category: Mercury
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I am going to attach a picture. In the picture to the bottom right is a green icon with a car and arrow. Is that lighting up when you turn the key to start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope!
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Ok. When you turn the key to start though, are you trying to put it in drive and see if it will move because it is in electric?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It's in park, and I'm just trying to start it. I don't put it in drive until it's started (minutes later).
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I do not fully understand why you do that. You just need to drive away and the motor will start when the battery needs charging. Does the engine start correctly in that fashion?

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Also, Ford does have a service bulletin for your year Escape that states this as the subject: "Some 2008 Escape Hybrid and Mariner Hybrid vehicles built on or before 3/8/2008 may exhibit a theft lamp on, no communication with the transmission control module (TCM), no crank, and/or multiple diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) including P0500, P0685, P0A18, P0A23, P1000, P1A0C, P1A0E, P2105, U0101."

You could have that going on. It is to check a ground. And it does depend on the vehicles build date.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. But now I'm confused - how can I 'just drive away' when the car won't start at all? I'm not talking about the battery charge, I'm saying the ignition doesn't catch at all. Park, drive - doesn't matter if the car won't even start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what's the green light picture you sent? Does that indicate a specific problem?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I was under the impression that that light turns on when the key is turned to on and the hybrid system is ready to drive. It is the "ready to drive" light.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Can you give me the vin, so I can check the build date to see if this service bulletin even applies to your vehicle?

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Also I would love if you would turn the key to start, then try to drive away without the gasoline engine running.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. You have not followed up with me. What is the status of your Mariner? If you are all set then please rate the service. Thanks.