Jeromy Madison
Jeromy Madison,
Experience:  Owner/Technician at Mad Auto Repair
90693043

I found oil in my coolant, but no coolant in my oil 2004

Customer Question

I found oil in my coolant, but no coolant in my oil 2004 Lincoln LS V8 with elec fan and oil cooler
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Jeromy Madison replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I can help you. How did you find oil in your coolant?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car does not loose coolant, it does not blow white smoke; it does not overheat. I recently changed all of the fluids and replaced most of the cooling system hoses. I also had the intake off and had to reuse the gaskets which sealed all the way around each inlet, but otherwise appeared to be pretty spent. But I don't think there are any water valleys in passing into the upper intake.I found oil in my coolant by visual inspection of the coolant expansion tank; then further inspection revealed a froth coating inside the expansion tank, froth-like substance also present on the bottom of the water filler cap on the thermostat housing. The coolant reservoir was clean prior to driving the car for the first time 2 weeks ago. It was just replaced because I bought the car not running and full of moose in all of the coolant lines and in the oil pan. The previous owner had sprayed water into the oil filler tube (as one witness has reported). So I cannot imagine what he did to the cooling system. I backflushed everything and replaced what I could of the cooling lines and resovoir and put new oil in. So far after sitting for a year, I have driven one tank full of fuel through the car. No overheating issues; no codes, no CEL.I did just find that one of the lines going to the heater control valve (near the radiator) had a split in it, not leaking, but the rubber was breaking down and sticky (one of the old hoses, all were soft, and breaking down/sticky which is why I replaced as many as I could). So, petroleum could be getting into the coolant from within the remaining bad lines. (approximately 4 linear feet of soft hose mostly surrounding the heater)... I am left scratching my head.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am flushing the coolant now and was thinking about performing a leakdown / compression test to see if one of my cylinders is blown.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an Actron Elite Autoscanner CP9185 and can access the data stream.. but don't know what if any sensors to look for to be out of range...

Ok, the most common place for this to happen is in the oil cooler.

Have you inspected that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is funny... I had literally already typed the following passage when your answer appeared. - I am going to bypass my oil cooler while flushing the cooling system. If it is the weak link in the system then oil will accumulate and drip from the inlet or outlet of the oil cooler as the oil pressure should force it into the open air.

That is funny.

Most other failures will allow coolant into the oil.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will post my findings in 1/2 hour so.

Ok, sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what I was thinking.The engine was running a little hard, but I think that was vacuum leak around my injectors. The seals were pretty spent when I pulled the upper intake; but I just replaced the injector seals and ran cleaning solution through them by activating each one using a pigtail and pulsing power to the injector as I had a small bath of cleaner connected to the inlet side of the injectors... now the engine runs smoother. (suspect either a headgasket is blow despite the absence of symptoms other than the oil in coolant or something dripped into one of the cylinders and hydrolocked it at some point causing a connecting rod to bend.That said, it is running smoother now, but will not reveal whether it is fixed or not until I place the car under driving load.

Ok. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is storming like crazy here, so i will post back tomorrow.

Ok