Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs
7276279

How do you check the dpfe - sensor on a 1986 mercury grand

Customer Question

how do you check the dpfe - sensor on a 1986 mercury grand marquis ?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

You have two years listed but the 1986 did not have a DPFE so I assume you are referring to a 1996, I have enclosed the test steps in the link below for testing the DPFE in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them. Its very common for the DPFE to fail on the 1996 as well.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/DPFE%20Nov%2011.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron, on the dpfe on the 96 the top plug has 1 solid red wire and a green wire with black stripe, am I to check the voltage coming into the dpfe from these? Looks like like the bottom plug is vacuum and is the back plug v. too? not sure how to release it? The #'s on this unit are PA66-GF33 T5 have battery voltage going to the egr vacuum regulator and 31 ohms within Haynes suggested limits of 30-70 ohms they say should be 4 -6 v. on harness side of pfe connector, this is dpfe and I recorded 11.12 v. going in. I did put a used pcm in some time ago that was visibly more weathered than what was in, hoping to regain my abs light and some others but didn't make a change but seemed to run ok so hadn't put the original back in yet. Also cleaned the egr and connecting ports which I think was clogged to the intake, reinstalled with new gasket, haven't checked the tubed to exhaust yet. Hasn't thrown the insufficient egr code yet but only drove a mile and a half or two. Thanks for any further help. blessing in Jesus, well part of the reason for the holiday music on the radio already. DS
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes you check the voltage at the electrial connector, can you tell me what type of problem you are try to correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the connector going to the dpfe? or the connection on the dpfe? going to wouldn't tell us anything about the dpfe. the scan result said insufficient egr, some misfires too, that's different issue though as far as I know. Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If your checking the DPFE then you check it at the connector on the DPFE with the DPFE plugged in. Can yo tell me the actual code your getting?