Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs
7276279

Sometimes my 1997 Tracer will accelerate from idle on it's

Customer Question

Sometimes my 1997 Tracer will accelerate from idle on it's own. There does not seem to be any problem with the throttle body or cable? It is a safety issue, but does not occur more than a few times per year? Do you know the problem?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

One common caused for the idle to flair can be caused b either a sticking IAC (idle air control) valve or a failing IAC. I would start first with removing it and giving it a good cleaning and see if that resolves the problem. See the removal steps in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/IAC%20Nov%2011.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** is a auto-tech (Ford Asset Program) and mentioned the same thing. I think due to the age of the car, I will have him replace the IAC.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

That would be a good place to start and while hes in there have him give the throttle body a good cleaning. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.