AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I was having a ticking noise, coming from what seemed to be

Customer Question

I was having a ticking noise, coming from what seemed to be my tire area, what could this be? Additionally, when making hard turn (like U-turns) I experience what it seems to be my back tires spinning out, and when turning my wheels to back up I have to put a little more pressure on the gas peddle, while wheel is turned in the direction i'm backing up
Category: Mercury
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. It sounds like your brakes are locking up. When it was smoking, did that seem to be coming from one of the wheels as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seemed to have been coming from somewhere behind the wheel.

Are you able to take a look at the brake rotor of that wheel and see if it looks to have overheated? I think you have a brake caliper locking up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be my Ball Joints, Bearing & Seals, or my differential?

The smoking wont be a result of your ball joints. ball joints make a clunking sound. Your differential could cause a variety of sounds if bad, but no smoking. The seals would also not cause any smoking unless you were dripping fluid onto the exhaust, but your exhaust doesn't run under your axle seals, so I dont think that is the problem either. The only thing I can think of that would cause the smoking and burning right behind a wheel would be the brakes. Since they have replaced the bearings, is the ticking gone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is still clicking. They have replaced those items previously listed with the exception of the diffdrential. They now say it's the differential. Not once have they mentioned the brakes.

They said the differential is smoking and burning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
because after the replacing and tightening of the joints and bearing was now causing additional pressure or strain on the differential.

:/ Your differential is not smoking and burning. I would suggest stopping by another reputable repair shop for a second opinion. Don't tell them what the last place said. I still think that the smoking was coming from one of the brake rotors but I am pretty confident that it was not coming from your differential. There are multiple places a ticking could be coming from, but if you have a wheel that's smoking then I would definitely address that first. If you are able to, you could raise each wheel off the ground and see how easily they will turn by hand. A wheel with a locked up caliper won't turn.

The wheel that's ticking, is it the same wheel that was smoking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did raise the each wheel off the ground and turned the two front wheels and stated there was a little "play", i'm wasn't clear on exactly what that meant, at which time they denoted it was my Ball joints.Yes on the ticking and smoking.

Ok. the play the were referring to was not rotational. they were wobbling the wheel to determine that the ball joints and bearings were bad. I would honestly stop by another shop to have the brakes and calipers looked at. Since the ticking sound is coming from the same wheel as the smoking was, I am pretty sure we are looking at a brake issue causing both symptoms, but only an inspection will say for sure. Please feel free to ask me as many questions as you would like. I am here to answer any questions you have after another shop looks it over, or if you would like to try it yourself i can help you through it. All you have to do is continue to reply right here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was led to believe an inspection was done by them; proving them the same information I provided you. I will have my brakes and calipers checked out as well.Thank you for your assistance.

your welcome. Try to find a different shop to do a thorough brake inspection. One with a lot of good reviews. Most do this for free. We do all the time. Second opinions are always a good idea. Especially with talk of replacing the differential with the idea that it will remedy a smoking wheel. In my experiences, a smoking wheel is usually either a seized brake caliper, or something on the caliper burning off during braking. Please keep me updated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will seek that second opinion.I would like to keep you updated, how would I provide you these updates.

You can continue to reply right here. this is always accessible to you even after rating. The question does not close out and you will not be charged additional charges for following up.

Hi Tamera. What did you find out?