Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My 2000 mucry marquis blew the starter fuse and my altinator

Customer Question

my 2000 mucry marquis blew the starter fuse and my altinator ...we changed the fuse to get the car back to the shop checked and replaced altinator as needed ......w ran it at idle for about 5 min all looked good unfortunately as soon as we accelerated hard the battery lite came back on and the dash started smoking .....we replaced both and looked for any short in dash all looked good soon as I accelerated it blew the altinator again by melting the brushes plastic housing ......please help !!!
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what was replaced in the dash area?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing and we could not find anything burnt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked on line I see other people have had this problem. ...but no fix was posted
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

At the three wires that connect at the alternator did any of the connections/wires appear burned or damaged in any way at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,if you can,with the engine running can you disconnect the yellow wire with white stripe from the alternator (carefully to not short out this wire and to not hurt yourself with any moving engine parts) to see if the fault continues.This wire leads to the starter itself.I want to see if there is an issue on this circuit causing this here.I have seen shorted starter windings in some cases cause this issue.If this is not an option here let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping by speeking to a mercury mechanic that you would have the answer right away since this seems to be some what comon on this model ...I can get back to you tomorrow on that ..I'm not in front of the car right now I had to run out to pick up the new altinator before they closed for the night ...Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The components I have seen cause this here are a short in the wiring leading from the alternator to the starter relay or a short with the starter itself but since you had smoke in the dash area the most common cause is the electronic ignition switch itself.The switch does energize the cluster for operation.The ignition switch wiring and switch itself need checked for any burns or damage to it needing replaced if found at fault as well as the instrument cluster electrical connections.If a fault is found with the instrument cluster connection the cluster will need replaced.These are the two components in the dash area that would have smoked like this and cause the alternator failure issue.The instrument cluster connects directly to the alternator so if it is shorting out internally back feeding a signal to the alternator this will occur here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I'll give that a look and get back to you thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.Let me know what you come up with here and if you need anything else.Feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It turned out to be a short in the alarm wire causing the problem ......thanks anyway
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

That is great to hear the fault has been located.If there is anything else I can help with here on this let me know and feel free to rate my help if you like.

Thanks Pete