A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

My 2005 Mercury Sable airbag light is on. The vehicle was in

Customer Question

My 2005 Mercury Sable airbag light is on. The vehicle was in an accident, but the airbag did not deploy. I had the vehicle scanned at my auto parts store and the diagnosis was " crash data full ". Can I reset it, or do I need to replace something ?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

If below is the code you got,

B1231 LTC13

Crash Data Memory Full

INSTALL a new RCM and impact sensors.

That is from the factory Ford shop manual.

The RCM is the Air Bag Module. Since the airbags did not deploy, replace the RCM only. Then have the system retested.

When a vehicle is in an accident, either severe enough to set the air bags off or not, the RCM records the data and stores it in the memory. This information is for Ford Motor Company and/or the NTSB to evaluate if a court case is involved. They are the only ones able to read this data. Ford technicians cannot gain access to this information. But that is what is meant by Crash Data Memory Full

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need any more help.