Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2007 Mercury Mariner power failure. Engine runs great until

Customer Question

2007 Mercury Mariner power failure. Engine runs great until you stop at a traffic light then the engine dies. We have noted the air bag light blinks once then 5 times.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

When it dies out is it a sudden stall out or does it chug or stumble and stall out?

Does it start right back up again or does it have to sit a period of time before it will restart?

Is or has the check engine light come on with this issue at all and have fault codes been checked at all?

Did the air bag light issue start to occur at the same time or at a different time before or after this stall out started to occur?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Sudden stall
2. Starts right back up again.
3. No engine light with fault codes.
4. Air bag issue before.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,with the air bag light issue here this flashing indicates the air bag computer has at least one fault code set.What needs to be done is to have a scan tool connected to your vehicle that can communicate with the air bag computer to check the air bag fault codes.Once this is done the codes can then be diagnosed to locate the fault and then it can be repaired.Unfortunately since there are so many sensors and air bag components that can cause this without knowing what fault code(s) are set it is difficult to say for sure from here what is causing the air bag light.If you can get the air bag codes read out and post them here this will help.Most common is a fault with one of the air bags in the dash or air bag wiring with high resistance but the codes will need checked to pinpoint this further.

As for the sudden stall out the most common cause for this here that I come across is the crank position sensor itself.It is a component that sends an engine rpm signal to the engine computer and ignition components and when it acts up (usually when slowing or coming to a stop or at a stop) the engine stalls out.In some cases the engine may start right back up and in other cases it may take a short period of time before it will start back up.The other issue I have seen cause this is carbon build up in the throttle body bore,in allot of cases using a shop rag with some carb. or brake cleaner sprayed on the rag to wipe out and clean the throttle body bore and bore plate can correct this.You would need to remove the air filter inlet tubing from the throttle body to clean this.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is an air bag button on the dash board that my wife swears you could push on or off however it is not able to be depressed at this time. Was this button suppose to be a working on/off button or is it simply a light?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If it is the one that shows on and off when light up this is usually the passenger sense air bag light.When no one is in the passenger seat it usually says off and when someone (other then a small child) is in the passenger seat it shows on but usually isn't a button just an indicator light.With the air bag light itself flashing on the dash if it stays on after its done flashing with the engine running then this indicates there is a code set in the air bag computer needing diagnosed and repaired.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. We'll check things out.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
far your rating is great but I didn't want to complete our conversation until work was completed and tested on the car.
My repair shop worked on the Mariner 28 & 29 Nov. and replaced the crank shaft position sensor as well as a pigtail socket that came with the sensor. They cleaned the carbon a second time. The airbag light is a non issue anymore. My wife picked up the car on Friday, 30-Nov and drove it throughout the weekend as well as Monday & yesterday, Tuesday 3-Nov.
At 4:30 pm she was sitting in a line at a light and the car stalled. It started right up and has not failed since.
Info:
The gas tank is 3/4 full, the temperature outside was 88 degrees, the car radio was on but the A/C was not. She said the car acts as though it knows I want to push the gas before my foot gets to the pedal, then stalls.
1. That makes me think does it have something to do with the brake and a switch or relay?
2. Do you think re-installing the computer software is needed?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay on this here.

If this issue occurs right as her foot is removed from the brake pedal it may be possible the brake switch itself (usually located on a bracket above the brake pedal) may be shorting out internally needing replaced.I haven't personally see this occur but it may be possible causing a short to the computers causing the stall out issue here.

You can have the software checked in the computers and usually this needs done by a dealer with their computer to do this.If there is any updated software or if your software is corrupted they should be able to reinstall software to correct this issue here.This is definitely a tough one to pinpoint here but I would have these checked into.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
We'll check it out.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete