Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw /audi specialist
84635724

Randall, I have a 2001 2.5L V6 UK-spec Ford Cougar that

Customer Question

Hello Randall, I have a 2001 2.5L V6 UK-spec Ford Cougar that overheated last night. The temp gauge showed at the top of the hot range but the air conditioning/fan temp was cold even when set to hot. At idle, the oil light flickered intermittently. There was a slight coolant loss from the expansion tank vent pipe when I checked it this morning. I started it this morning & after half an hour, the temp was starting to rise above half way again with the exp. tank starting to vent again. The fan came on; there seems to be no external water leakage & the block is definitely getting hot; could this be the thermostat not opening? Seems strange that the fan is still blowing cold if it takes heat from water in the block? The oil & water do not have any evidence of a blown head gasket & it started first time this morning. Many thanks for your help in advance. Ian.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Kevin had coolant level gone down at all ? Air con is separate does heater blow warm at all ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning Kevin, thanks for getting back to me. There had been a slight coolant loss from the expansion tank vent pipe last night, when I checked it this morning. The heater wasn't blowing any warm/hot air last night or this morning when I ran the engine again, even with the temp showing in the normal range. Many thanks for your help in advance. Ian.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok this sounds like a circulation issue I would check the water pump is intact first