Mike V.
Mike V., Automotive Technician
Experience:  25 years experience witth all makes, Nissan and Subaru factory trained.
2921078

Have a problem with heater not getting hot and engine wants

Customer Question

Have a problem with heater not getting hot and engine wants to over heat also losing coolant somewhere?replaced thermostat and housing heard works in summer,spring,not in winter lose 1/2 pint coolant per week?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Is the engine running normally otherwise?

Any misfires or other issues

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine seems to run real smooth this summer doesn't idle smooth sputters alittle still losing a little coolant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced plugs and wires
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My heater seems like its starting all over again by not getting hot as it should
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

What is happening is as it loses the engine coolant an air pocket will form in the heater core. This will cause the loss of heat, but also cause the car to try to overheat.

What you really need to do here is try to determine where the leak is. To do this, I suggest a pressure test. Basically it's like a bike tire pump for the cooling system. You pump up the cooling system and it usually will force the coolant out so you can determine what needs repairing.

This is really where you have to start with this so that you can repair the leak, bleed off the cooling system and get your heat back. Sorry for the delay in my response.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!