cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  was a mechanic in the army for four years and have been working at a dealer ship the past five years
74954164

It's never happened before, i filled up with gas on Saturday

Customer Question

it's never happened before, i filled up with gas on Saturday a.m. and did not drive much. Sunday and continuing I have a strong fuel smell in car..not underneath or under engine..inside
Category: Mercury
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

1. Injector leak

2. Fuel tank leak

3. Fuel line leak

4. Faulty canister

5. Missing gas cap

It really doesn't matter what is causing the gasoline smell in your car, you just need to have it fixed as soon as you start smelling fuel. If the fuel leak is near the engine or exhaust, it could result in a fire and a potential total loss of your vehicle. The fuel liquid is not the danger, the danger is the fumes, you see, liquid gasoline does not burn; the fumes are what catch fire.

you will have to get under the car and inspect the fuel tank its self to make sure their is no gas leak coming from the tank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks, ***** ***** that exact info on the internet....there is no visible gas leak from the tank and the overflow hose did not pop off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an appointment on Monday, but thanks for your info.
M
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

then more then likely it is going to be a fuel line leak if it was the injectors you would smell it under the hood

Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

if you need anything else please let me know be sure to rate my service when you get the chance

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'll let you know what ford says. Going out of town and didn't want to drive and spontaneously combust. :). Also no smell if AC is on . V
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

ok just let me know