Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Replacing brakes on my 2004 Mountaineer. Having problems

Customer Question

replacing brakes on my 2004 Mountaineer. Having problems getting the rear rotors off. disconnected parking brake, still having problems getting rotor off.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

You have a task ahead of you. Getting rear rotors off this model are a pain. If replacing the brake pads, rotor removal is not needed. If your replacing the rotors then you do not have to be gentle. If the rotor is loose and wobbling then its the parking brake shoes inside that stuck out and holding the rotor on. If its not loose then soak the studs with penetrating oil, then use a large hammer to strike the rotor between the studs to help break the rust bond. Then use a piece of wood against the rotor back side where the caliper was. Hit this piece of wood to drive the rotor off. Forewarning, I have had them stick to the point I had to cut them off with a torch and install a new hub and bearing.

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine and have went to many schools and classes to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating one of the answers, not the questions, you receive is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

I hate that you spent money here, and left, what appears to be not pleased with me or my help. I am still here and available to help. We can pick up where we left off or start over.

Chris