Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

I have a 98 marquis that runs great but after a few stops

Customer Question

i have a 98 marquis that runs great but after a few stops average 20 mi. a stop i try to start it and all it does is grind away after 5 times grindind away for 15 sec .each it starts. whats wrong
Category: Mercury
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet.

When it doesnt start immediately, have you tested for spark and fuel to see which is missing? If not, you need to do this first, from there we know the area to test - fuel or secondary ignition

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please call me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i know ther is spark and fuel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but i know there is fuel and spark also it starts after cranking so many times so can you tell me why it dosent start like it should when i get it home overnight it starts in the morning
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Sorry, I am not set up for doing phone calls, I will release this for another expert to be able to help that can do phone calls

Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

here is a service offer for you accept and i will call you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i thought you could answer my question online it seem to me if someone knew about grand marquis they would know the answer
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

ok it said you had a phone call request in it sounds like you have a dead spot in your starter i would start with testing the starter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just sent a message your answers are stupid or you didnt read the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the starter works just fine i am inquiring about this problem becase me and other mechanics cant solve thats why i asked .but telling me the starter is the problem when i said it cranks over for unlimited times for 8 or ten times without starting i know better that its not the starter come on.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds to me as though the engine is flooding. That should have a clear flood mode. Next time hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor when trying to start. If it starts fine like that, let me know cause that would confirm tat it is flooding and the next step would be to retrieve the computer codes and check the fuel pressure. I know you replaced the fuel pump and the regulator, but it could still be something wrong with the fuel system and/or a sensor, thus the need to retrieve the codes also.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are no codes showing up. i tried gas petal to floor does not work. i know the check engine light works it comes on with key on.i never seen a situation where you can crank the engine for 15 to 40 sec. wait crank engine about 7 times then it starts. if i shut off after that start it starts right up. if i stop a couple places after that it goes right back to no start. replaced everything from fuel line to engine even gas cap fuel filter pressure sensor on gas tank fuel pump what i dont understand why i am not getting any codes from computer
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Feel if that relay is loose in the socket and if not, go ahead and replace it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what relay are you talking about
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

The fuel pump relay.