HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years experience Ford Senior Master Technician/Diesel certified ASE Master Technician
285738

I turn the key on my 1993 grand marque and nothing? I have

Customer Question

I turn the key on my 1993 grand marque and nothing ? I have replaced the ignition switch and key all other power works
Category: Mercury
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, when you replaced the ignition switch on the steering column did the electrical connector show signs of being hot/brown/melted? Did it just stop working or was something done prior and the concern started?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sign of any hot, brown , or melting , how ever there was a small piece of plastic broken. It just stop working.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

ok and nothing lights up on the dash or it just wont crank the engine? where was the broken plastic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
every thing lights up just fine , there was two black plastic arms one was broken.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok that hold the electrical connector to the switch,if it lights up all the dash and horn works, accessories etc, then it is most likely a failed starter or starter solenoid, you need to verify youhave power going to the starter. There are two wires, the larger one atthe starter has battery power at all times. The smaller wire only has power when cranking the engine.If the wires check ok the starter is bad. You can also jump across the two wires at the starter and see if the engine cranks. If not starter is bad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will try that tomorrow
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Very good, if you need more help just let me know and there should also be a starter relay on the passenger fender area the completes the circuit between the ignition switch and starter and is tested in the same fashion. if the starter is bad its a good idea to replace the starter relay as well

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.