HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years experience Ford Senior Master Technician/Diesel certified ASE Master Technician
285738

What turns the ac clutch off and on. My compressor keeps

Customer Question

What turns the ac clutch off and on. My compressor keeps cycling off and on it cools for a little while then quits
Category: Mercury
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Low freon in the system, monitored by ac pressure switches or overcharged.Issues with the engine cooling fan operation. Depends on what type of vehicle it is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where are the ac pressure switches located
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

What kind of vehicle is this, make, model, engine size?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2006 mercury milan premier 3.0 v6
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Need to check the operation of the engine cooling fans first, if they dont run when the ac is on it can cause te high system pressure switch to turn off the ac compressor, that switch is located on the high side line of the ac system. If this system uses an expansion valve which it should it will only use a high side switch on the dryer or high side line

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can these switches be jumped out to turn compressor on to get it to take freon if it to low
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Need to know if the system is low on freon by checking with a ac manifold gauge set. Inspect the system for leaks and recharge and repair if leaks are found. The high side doesnt work that way. you can jump the compressor and see if it stays on and monitor refrigrerant pressures

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how would I jump compressor out if I have too
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Unplug the coil connection at the compressor and apply power and ground to the coil.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello do you still need help with this concern?