Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

I have a 1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS W/5.0 The car stopped

Customer Question

I have a 1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS W/5.0
The car stopped running wile driving down the road but getting gas and the timing chain is not broken as there is compression exact compression I do not know so it is electrical so I changed the ignition coil and the old failed the test at the parts store but after putting the new coil in the car is still not getting spark .... Alternator changed last November .... I was thinking the brain but where is it located ... Any suggestions
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Most times with a no spark it is the TFI, (thick film integrated) ignition module.

There were some issues, (service bulletins) on the connectors at the ignition module but it is very possible that the module is just bad. You can also tell when the take the module out, if the wire connectors on the pick up coil come out with the module, then the pick up is bad as well.

.

I can get the test instructions for it and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for a little bit more.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the private section so that I can see it. I do not have access to your email address, Thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I see that you declined the offer for additional services. Is there anything more I can tell you about the original answer? Please remember that we don’t get credit, (paid) until the answer is rated, (in a positive way)

.

Thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Is there even power to the module?