sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a Mercury 2006 grand marquis gs. The power seat on

Customer Question

I have a Mercury 2006 grand marquis gs. The power seat on the drivers side quit tilting back and forth. Then it would occasionally. Now it tilts back and forth but will not go forwards and backwards. What is wrong. I had the power window motor changed before all this started
Category: Mercury
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem may be a handful of things. If you don't hear any noise when trying to move the seat then it may be the switch itself or wiring. If some functions do work then you know that power and ground to the switch are good and the problem has t be with the switch, wiring from there to the non functioning motor, or the motor itself. Sometimes a failed seat motor will make a noise when the button is pressed, sometimes not.

What will need to be done is use a test light either at the fore/aft motor connector or you can start at the switch, with the test light set up across the motor control terminals you would push the seat switch and see if the test light lights up. If it lights up at the motor then you know the motor has failed, if not then you either have a wiring issue or failed switch. You would next test at the switch to differentiate.