Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Air cools fine, problem is the air flow always goes to the

Customer Question

air cools fine, problem is the air flow always goes to the defroster vents until the car is driven for a while and then the air flow goes back to the vents in the dash board where it should be. I can put the car in neutral and speed up the rpms and it will move the air flow to the dash board. if I drive slow or in stop and go traffic the air flow moves up to the defrost vents. is this fixable and is it a huge cost. talked to dealers and all they say is to bring it in and charge me $100.00 per hour to look at it. has there been a lot of mercury owners with the same problem. car is a 2006 grand marquis ultima with 167000 miles. could it be electrical or vacuum
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

It is a vacuum issue. The mode doors use vacuum to move. Defrost is the default when the HVAC module is not getting vacuum. When using panel vents there is always vacuum to the defrost door. I can not tell if your wanting to try diagnosing and fixing this yourself or not?

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris