Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs
7276279

My e-brake goes to the floor and won t hold the car on my 06

Customer Question

my e-brake goes to the floor and won t hold the car on my 06 marquis[i never use it]
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The type of problem you are having can be caused by a couple of things, one is the parking break shoes are worn down and need to be replaced and or maybe just adjusted and the other is the break cable has stretched over time and needs to be adjusted. In order to determine the cause you need to start first with removing the rear brake rotor and inspecting the emergency brake shoes located behind the rotor to be sure they are not just worn out and need replacement. If the look okay then the next step would be to adjust them up and reinstall the rotors and recheck the operation. If they now work okay then you done, if not then you will need to adjust the cable. If you are able to do this repair I can send you the steps to do so. Let me know and I can send them