Mat
Mat, Mercury Technician
Experience:  FLM Senior Master Tech, ASE master Tech, auto trans and driveability
49638932

The FWD light flashes and ABS light comes on. The brakes are

Customer Question

The FWD light flashes and ABS light comes on. The brakes are not acting right. Is this an expensive problem?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Mat replied 1 year ago.

Hi I would like to help you out. A very common problem on ford escape and mercury mariner vehicles is the tone rings on the front axle crack and cause the abs wheel speed sensor to not read correctly. This will cause the abs light to come on and the 4wd light to flash. You can actually inspect for the broken tone ring yourself by looking at the tonerings. You can also use your hands to see if the tone ring is loose. I will attach a picture. Replacement of the tone ring takes about one hour per side. A simple repair. If you need any further help please reply. Thanks