Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Automotive Technician with a Bachelor’s Degree in Automotive Technology
78075103

Wanting to purchase a used 2005 Mercury Mountaineer with

Customer Question

Wanting to purchase a used 2005 Mercury Mountaineer with 145000 miles just curious as to what problems with the vehicle start to occur around this time the dealer is advising that the timing chain was replaced at 100,000 miles I am a female and a car dealership so as everyone knows females tend to get taken advantage of so just extremely curious what I need to ask before purchasing
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

The Mercury Mountaineer doesn't need to have the chain replaced so that is interesting that they would say that.

In general this vehicle is fairly reliable.

I would look for bad wheel bearings, make sure the transmission feels like it is shifting normal and that the AC is cold, and there are no warning lights on such as a check engine light or an ABS light.

I would also take the vehicle to an independent shop such as Firestone for a vehicle purchase look over. Generally costs around 30.00 and it will save you a lot of head ache if they do find something wrong with the vehicle.

I hope I have been of help to you. Please let me know if you have any other questions.