Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs and Ford Certs
7276279

A family member has a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer with 206,000

Customer Question

A family member has a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer with 206,000 ,mies on it. A few years ago after 4 hours on freeway with over 100 degree temps it started losing power and a little jurking. Figured fuel pump. This happened about once a year on long high heat drives. A couple months ago it happened but threw a lean fuel code. Had the Fuel pump & filter changed, seemed ok but a few weeks ago did the same but all lights on dashed flashed & lost all power. Shop changed dead battery but didn't get code before change. I flushed top engine through vac line with Sea Foam Engine Cleaner, flushed crankcase, changed oil to full syn., flushed & changed coolant, cleaned MAF, changed reared fluid, flushed & changed trani. I drove it and after a hot drive across desert and about 7 hours driving I was about 40 miles outside of Flagstaff & I felt a total loss of power in the pedal with not flat of lights. The power loss only lasted a second & didn't happen again but only drove another half hour or so. This has always happened when it was coming down from about 7,000 ft elevation to the desert and in high heat after at least 4 hours of driving.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

Where are you getting these pumps from please?

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are describing sounds very much like the new fuel pump is defective . What you going to need to do is to install a fuel pressure gauge and tape it to the windshield so you can watch the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring. I suspect you are going to find a loss of pressure which would mean the new pump is defective.