sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I HAVE NO TURN SIGNALS. a MECHANIC FIXED THEM BUT WHEN I

Customer Question

i HAVE NO TURN SIGNALS. a MECHANIC FIXED THEM BUT WHEN I STEP ON THE BRAKE, I BLOW A FUSE AND NO SIGNALS AGAIN
Category: Mercury
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
You do have a short to ground on one of the rear brake/turn signal circuits. The fuse is blowing because of high current draw on the circuit, since the bulbs are the only components on the circuit the cause of the fuse blowing is going to be a short to ground.
What should be done is a visual inspection of the wiring. If you have trailer wiring that would be where I would start. Trailer wiring is often the source of problems due to rubbing through and shorting to ground, melting on exhaust components, corrosion in the connector, etc.
If there are no visible issues then the circuits will need to be tested individually to see which is shorted and go from there. Once the offending circuit is identified then it can either be looked at closer or simply hard wired and the old wire cut out of the circuit.