Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

I have a '99 Mercury grand marquis that has been

Customer Question

I have a '99 Mercury grand marquis that has been sputtering quite a bit. Its seems that while I am driving or sitting it doesn't matter the car sputters. I am able to accelerate through it and it hasn't caused the car to die, what could be the problem?
I also know I need to get my muffler replaced but wasn't for sure if this was the issue or not.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

A faulty muffler will not cause any engine running issues, just exhaust noise concerns.

If its a misfire your getting then its likely in need of a tune up and possibly coil(s). If you have the use of a scan tool that can run a power balance test, you can then see which cylinder is to blame.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries, so here's what's happen, a little history on the car.When I bought the car 3 months ago the car felt like it was losing power. I would accelerate and the car would slowly get to 30 mph or 50 mhp and sometimes it wouldn't go above 60 mph. My first thought was that it must be the tranny, but then I put gas into it and it was still present but not as bad. Come to find out a mechanic said I had two bad coils which I replaced. It made a night and day difference.I should also mention two other things, 1) the owner I bought the car from told me I need to get a new belt as it seemed a little loose, but mechanic said it was fine 2) the batter light has always been on in the car when running. Bought new battery, have had tested before and since and was told no issues, mechanic said to me must be short in the wiring package somewhere.So, since the coil replacement and I noticed more yesterday, I would sit at a light and the car would chug. As the car would run while sitting at a light I could feel below my seat noticable chugging. May have been from engine or directly below. The chugging also caused the lights in the car to dim a bit during each chug, some were rougher chugs than others. I had wondered too if it was a coil but I would have thought the mechanic would have told me if there were other coils going bad too.

With the new details. I suggest a power balance test to see if any cylinders are misfiring.

Check for a restricted converter, by removing the upstream O2 sensors for a short road test.

Monitor the fuel pressure while running to verify it is staying above 25 psi while running.