A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

08 mercury milan. When you shut it off while and go to start

Customer Question

08 mercury milan. When you shut it off for a while and go to start it it just cranks and wont fire. Shut the key off, wait a few seconds and try again it starts up. What are some possible reasons this could be happening? I had a fuel pump intermittently cause it to happen once on a chevy truck
Category: Mercury
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
It could very possibly be the fuel pump. There is a check valve in the fuel pump that keeps the fuel in the lines from the pump to the engine for easy restarts. Try this to verify it.
Turn the key to on, not start and leave it there for3 seconds. Then off and then back to on. Do this 3 times and then see if the engine starts right up. If it does, the fuel pump is the problem. The check valve is part of the fuel pump and cannot be serviced separately.