Brad B
Brad B, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Senior Master
6458937

My 2001 mountaineer just stopped working yesterday. It drove

Customer Question

My 2001 mountaineer just stopped working yesterday. It drove great, no noise, no sensors trippibg, nothing and now when I turn it on it clicks once and all the lights come up but nothing else happens. Any idea?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Brad B replied 1 year ago.

Hello;

Thanks for choosing Just Answer!

It's possible that you have a bad alternator, if the vehicle ran fine then all of the sudden died and you had no noises or faults before the issue it would be possible that your charging system has failed. To check for this being a fault, it would be recommended to first try to charge the battery then see if the vehicle starts. Once the vehicle is running, check for a battery light on the dash, sometimes the battery light will not come on to show a fault though. If the battery light is on, this will show a charging system issue. Also note if you find any corrosion around the battery terminals to show a sign the battery is aged. If you have any questions, please let me know! Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem ended up being the fuel inertia switch... I'm very unfamiliar with those and didn't even know the vehicle had one of them. Any tips on how to NOT trip it in the future? I didn't hit anything or stop suddenly- both of which the tow guy said were common for tripping the switch. Is it just something I should check first next time?
Expert:  Brad B replied 1 year ago.
If the engine just clicked one time and not cranking, that sounded like a dead battery. In the case of a inertia switch that would allow the engine to just keep cranking but not have any fuel for the engine to fire. As far as the inertia switch, sometimes they get triggered by a passenger hitting the switch with their foot. If there was not anything done to cause it to trigger, it is possible the switch is bad and needs to be replaced. You can confirm it being weak by gently tapping on it and of its triggered you will want to replace it.