Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 2006 mercury marquis ls and when I turn on the a/c

Customer Question

I have a 2006 mercury marquis ls and when I turn on the a/c it blows thru the defroster for a while, then thru the floor vent and then thru the dash vents. I will then go thru the same process again. sometimes it will remain blowing thru the dash vent. What is my problem and how can I fix it.???
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
hi,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
The doors that control air flow direction thru the vents are controlled by vacuum operated actuators. Because it is switching directions on its own, I suspect that either there is a crack or break in the vacuum connector at the back of the climate control unit or the control unit itself. You will need to pull the climate control unit at the dash to inspect the vacuum connector behind it for cracks or breaks, as well as check the control unit for a crack where it plugs into it
If ok, then you will need to trace each vacuum hose for a break or cut or hole and replace as needed
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks