A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

I have a 176 and 332 code on a 1994 Grand Marquis. What

Customer Question

I have a 176 and 332 code on a 1994 Grand Marquis. What should I test for?
Category: Mercury
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
This is sounding like either the EGR valve is not opening or the EGR ports are clogged and when the PCM (Engine Computer) commands EGR gases back into the engine it will lean the fuel mixture down so the engine does not run right because of the exhaust gases entering the cylinders. If the EGR ports are clogged, the 02 sensors will see a lean fuel mixture and tell the PCM what they see which will set the code 176. 332 is an EGR code for no EGR flow seen by the 02 sensors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Ford dealer replaced the EGR valve and performed the 96-23-4 cleanout. Should I replace the relays in front of the EGR valve?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
I think you are referring to the EGR Vacuum Regulator Control that has the electrical connector and the two vacuum lines going to it. The other one is the EGR Pressure Valve Sensor which monitors the exhaust pressure over a distance in the tube when the EGR valve is applied. Make sure you have vacuum to the regulator and then apply vacuum to the EGR valve while the engine is running and see if the engine tries to stall.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the Vacuum Regulator Control and now I have just a 176 code.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
176 is lean condition code either caused by a vacuum leak, bad PCV valve or low fuel pressure.