Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Mercury Sable: I have a 2004 Mercedes Sable with 110,000 miles.

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Mercedes Sable with 110,000 miles. Had to replace the trans 3 years ago. Took it on a road trip from CA to NM and on my way back home I pulled in to a gas station waited for the car in front of me to pull forward I went to pull in front of the gas pump and nothing. It was like it was in neutral. I lost all gears. There's only about 20,000 miles on the trans that was replaced.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
If no gears will move the vehicle, it will not roll in park but will roll in all other gears. Then this indicates most likely the transaxle pump shaft has striped out the splines that drive the shaft in the base of the torque converter. A VERY common issue and there was a recall on some models with this same model transaxle. The diagnostic test for this is a line pressure test to see if its low to none, if you get those results then the pump is not spinning because of a faulty torque converter. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris