Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Rear Door Lift Gate - 2 piece

Customer Question

Rear Door Lift Gate - 2 piece
Category: Mercury
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Can you go into more detail on what is wrong or what your trying to do or address?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lift gate on this vehicle has a door that allows the window to be opened without lifting the entire back liftgate. The smaller door/window has a defective hinge and it pops completely out. I want to secure this window and don't care if it is functional or able to be opened. I need to find a way to secure it permanently to the main lift gate
I have replaced hundreds of these hinges since there is a recall on them, though I have never been asked to permanently secure the glass to the liftgate. What if you opened the glass carefully, and used clear window and bath silicone all around the sides and then closed it and duct taped it in place to dry for 24 hours. Be very careful, those hinges put alot of stress on the glass, and it does not just break, it explodes, use eye protection. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get the hinge off? If I do replace it, how do I get the pins on the lower hinge to seat into the the upper hinge? I also have a loose bracket where it locks into the main door. It is a "U" shaped piece that seats into the latch and then locks. It is now too loose to really hold in the latch?
The striker should have bolts you can tighten to make it tighter held to the body. Below are the files showing the hinge replacement for the 04 model and the recall that goes into more detail on the 02-03 same design. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/explorerglass.pdfhttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/explorerliftgate.pdf