HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years experience Ford Senior Master Technician/Diesel certified ASE Master Technician
285738

Mercury Grand Marquis: i hear intermittent clicking sounds

Customer Question

i hear intermittent clicking sounds from dash
Category: Mercury
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Does the sound change when you change one of the AC controls?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Is the clicking from the passenger side behind the glove box close to the radio?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is difficult to determine or pinpoint the noise because I have no idea what, if anything I did to trigger it. I have not been able to replicate it.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Does it sound like a loud clock ticking behind the dash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sir, if you would take a deck of cards, pull them back at the edge with a thumb and allow them to strike one after the other real fast; add a metallic ratchet sound for perhaps a second you might have the noise. I think of something resetting itself electrically. I touched most everything on the dash board without causing it to start and the action is too quick to stop before I can do anything.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
I have not heard that type of noise. I'll OPT OUT and reopen your question to the other experts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you sir.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe that the sound comes from touching the "outside tempriture" button. The "bell" seem muffled when I was driving along and the radio is turned down really low.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, the noise is one of the blend door motors behind the dash for the ac/heater/air flow system, typically the temperature blend door motor is the most common one to fail. It would require removal of the dash assembly in order to gain access to it.You can isolate the concern by rolling the temperature setting from full cold to full heat and same with each of the other controls, that is the only main blend door actuator, the others are controlled by vacuum.