Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Mercury
2499435

Mercury mariner: my 2006 mercury mariner is cutting out when

Customer Question

my 2006 mercury mariner is cutting out when i hit bumps.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
greetings
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
what does the instrument cluster do when this happens? any lights come on before or when it stalls?
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
have you had the vehicle scanned for trouble codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing comes on before it stalls. The check engine light (OBD) does not or is not on. It starts back up with no problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had it to the dealer in January and they installed a new PCM and alternator.
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the delay, long day at work.
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
I would be checking for a loose ground or loose power supply. You did not tell me if they found any codes. Usually they like codes with strong direction to replace a PCM or any module.
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
In my experience it is far more common for an issue like this to be a loose ground, loose pin fit in a connector or at the component or a SLB(smart junction box) fuse box or even a relay.
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
as hard as it can be to duplicate this we must or we take the chance or replacing parts for nothing. I would see about getting the dealer to at least eat the labor if not all the parts you just had replaced.
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
I try to move the wire harness of the suspected fault area and duplicate the stall. Could be the instrument cluster, throttle body or a ground in the engine compartment. They call this the wiggle test.
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
the fire wall under the hood has one major ground the check. the left and right side inside the fenders under the hood have grounds too. There is one under the air filter housing to check.if you can find out any codes the dealer found
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
if the dealer made the time they could use the scanner and watch live data and catch the fault. Not easy but can be done if you know what to watch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
obd light came on took it to autozone and code the code p0320.
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
did the dealer check the ignition coils? no codes previously? do you have the 3.0L v-6?
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
p0320 could be caused by ignition, alternator, PCM. I would have checked the crank sensor and connector first.
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
I would make sure the terminal fit in the crank sensor connector is tight. The crank sensor is under or behind the alternator.